Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Technology versus Leisure?

In "Technology Transforming the Leisure World," CNN reporter Taylor Gandossy explores the idea that technology is causing us to "segment" our leisure time more.

Those quoted in the article seem to suggest that technology has limited both the time for leisure as well as its quality, which is almost universally defined as doing things with other people. As evidence, they trot out the tried and true "Bowling Alone" argument that the decrease in face-to-face interaction is one factor behind all the ills of society. The article asks us, for example, to "think about the social impact of having to go to the symphony to hear classical music and interacting with others ... Now with CDs and iPods, you can listen to Bach all the time at home ... but also without the human interaction."

OK, that kind of ticks me off. First of all, when I'm at the Symphony (and yes, I do go), I don't want to be "interacting" with others. I frown on people talking during the concert. If isolation and the downfall of society are the fees I have to pay for listening to my music in peace, then I'm all for it.

But seriously, what I think many people (including Putnam) are missing is the fact that much of the interaction that they believe is missing is actually taking place in a new way. Yes, we may not go to the country club every week to visit with a few dozen of our closest friends any more. But we may visit our MySpace page to interact with hundreds of people all over the world.

Just because we don't necessarily "cook for our families" as much as we used to (yes, that was a real quote from the article) doesn't mean we've had a reduction in leisure time or that we're "engaging" less in the world around us. It could simply be an indication that we don't WANT to cook (or perhaps that's just me.) In fact, many people would see less cooking at home and more dining out as a net increase in leisure and communal interaction. Frankly, I'll see more people in a nice dinner out than I will sitting at home over pasta with my husband.

I think what the article does capture is the idea that people are becoming more choosy in their leisure time -- they want to spend their free time doing what they want to do, when they want to do it. Sometimes that means sitting at home listening in solitary confinement to their iPod, but sometimes it means interacting in a much larger way with the outside world.

What's key to remember is it's their choice -- or, I guess I mean OUR choice. I think I'll turn off the BBerry tonight. Don't try to e-mail me. I'll be listening to Bach.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

oy. as reagan said, there you go again....
you can sit at home and listen to all the bach you want until your ipod needs a recharge. but there's no defending an argument that experiencing a symphony performance, sitting around hundreds of other humans (annoying as they might be), is a less "engaging" experience. Nor can visiting a MySpace page compete with the experience -- and inherent risk! -- of making a new acquaintance at a cocktail party. Technology invites interaction in a new way, sure, but it's silly to suggest it measures up to the real mccoy.

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger The Engagist said...

Please don't compare me to Reagan. The irony is that after writing this I immediately left for five days in New Orleans at Jazz Fest. My point is that both experiences are engaging and I'm sorry, I just don't by the idea that hanging around with real humans is always, no matter what, without a doubt 100% more engaging than hanging around with virtual humans. Have you been to a cocktail party in DC lately? It's something, but it's not engaging.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home